Women today have so many expectations placed on them! Some woman go to school, hold down a have a professional job, or stay home and take care of the family, but above all…the question remains, are you a woman after God’s own heart? Perhaps an insight is given in Proverbs 31. Let's look at the verses of this scripture and see what we can glean from it.
- Proverbs 31:10-12 "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." This woman is the wife of an elder in the city. She has a good reputation herself, bringing a good reputation to her family. She keeps her husband in mind for good things, and will not cause him problems.
- Proverbs 31:13-16 "She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard." She is a very capable and confident woman. She supplies the needs of her family, including food and clothes. She also has servant girls that help with the load. She treats them well. She has a good sense for business and makes her own money, and makes all investments.
- Proverbs 31:17-19 "She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers."
She is not lazy, and keeps in good shape. She makes time to do things for her family.
- Proverbs 31:20-25 "She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."
She is a caring person in that she helps those who are less fortunate. She cares for her family and makes sure that all their needs are met. She is a respected business woman. She has inner strength that gives her confidence in the days to come.
- Proverbs 31:31--"She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.' Charm is deceptive, anis fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
She is a wise woman and an encouraging word for anyone. Her wisdom comes from the Lord, whom she seeks continuously. She is encouraged by both her children and her husband.
Do you consider yourself a proverbs 31 woman?